Waverley Abbey House is a charming Grade II* listed Georgian mansion located near Farnham, in the midst of the tranquil scenery of Surrey. With its historic character, extensive grounds and excellent facilities, Waverley Abbey House is an ideal venue for meetings, celebratory meals, bespoke events and marquee functions.
Waverley Abbey House can be hired for bespoke events and functions
Our grounds are available to hire for marquee functions, fundraising events or as a filming location. The house is set in spacious grounds with views across the water meadows of the River Wey, towards the ruins of the ancient Waverley Abbey.
We work with partner companies who have chosen to locate to Waverley Abbey House. Through them, we are pleased to offer a range of additional services.
The story of Waverley Abbey House began in 1128
when twelve brothers and an abbot travelled from L’Aumône Abbey in Normandy at the request of the Bishop of Winchester, William Gifford, to establish the first Cistercian monastery in England.
The monastery served for the next four hundred years until it was closed under the Dissolution of the Lesser Monasteries Act in 1536 and the land passed to King Henry VIII. He in turn gifted the Waverley estate to the Treasurer of the King’s Household, William Fitzwilliam in 1537.
It has been documented that Sir John Aislabie purchased the Waverley estate in 1720 while he was Chancellor of the Exchequer. He built a house here circa 1725, designed by influential architect Colen Campbell, and it is believed that the house was removed c1760s under the ownership
of Thomas Orby Hunter.
Towards the end of the 18th century, Waverley was sold to John Buncombe Poulett Thomson, a London merchant. His son Charles was born here in 1799. After spending time in the family firm, Charles entered into politics, became the first Governor of the United Province of Canada and was raised to the peerage as the first Baron Sydenham.
In 1832, Waverley was purchased by Guildford magistrate George Nicholson, who was also Florence Nightingale’s uncle.
The Nightingale and Nicholson families were very close and Florence was a frequent visitor to Waverley. Sir Walter Scott, author of the Waverley Novels, is also believed to have been a visitor to the area.
In 1870, the Waverley estate was sold to Thomas Darnley Anderson, a former merchant and Mayor of Liverpool. Waverley stayed in the Anderson family until 1946.
Between September 1914 and 1919, Waverley Abbey House was used as a military hospital and was affiliated with the Cambridge Hospital in Aldershot. During its period of operation, over 5,000 WWI soldiers were cared for at Waverley and the Commandant, Mrs Rupert Anderson (the owner’s wife), was awarded an OBE.